2022 MLB draft day 1 results: who did the teams pick? Complete list
Major League Baseball’s Draft was moved from spring time to right in the middle of All-Star Weekend as the stars of tomorrow were announced from Los Angeles.
Sunday marked Day 1 of the MLB Draft and the Baltimore Orioles took Jackson Holliday, shortstop from Stillwater High School with the number one overall pick.
Holliday one of many former players’ sons
For the first time ever, the Draft is being held smack dab in the middle of All Star Weekend from Los Angeles, and what better place to spotlight the next generation of Major Leaguers than LaLa Land?
There were a handful of second generation MLBers that heard their names called on Day 1 of the Draft from the Xbox Plaza. Jackson Holliday, son of former St. Louis Cardinal, Matt Holliday and Druw Jones, son of legendary centerfielder Andrew Jones was expected to be the first pick of the selection show, and the Orioles made no mistake when taking the talented outfielder.
Justin Crawford, son of Carl Crawford, and Cam Collier, son of Lou Collier had their names announced on the Draft’s opening day as a new wave of talent with MLB pedigree made their Major League dreams come true.
Day 1 in the books
The draft is 20 rounds long, and will be ongoing until Tuesday, but tonight was the main event as 83 of the most talented players in this year’s class were announced on the stage at the Xbox Plaza.
This is the list of selections from the opening evening of the MLB Draft.
1) Orioles: Jackson Holliday, SS, Stillwater (Okla.) HS
2) D-backs: Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan HS, Peachtree Corners, Ga.
3) Rangers: Kumar Rocker, RHP, Tri-City ValleyCats (Frontier League)
4) Pirates: Termarr Johnson, INF, Mays HS, Ga.
5) Nationals: Elijah Green, OF, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.
6) Marlins: Jacob Berry, 3B/OF, Louisiana State
7) Cubs: Cade Horton, RHP, Oklahoma
8) Twins: Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly
9) Royals: Gavin Cross, OF, Virginia Tech
10) Rockies: Gabriel Hughes, RHP, Gonzaga
11) Mets: Kevin Parada, C, Georgia Tech
12) Tigers: Jace Jung, 2B, Texas Tech
13) Angels: Zach Neto, SS, Campbell
14) Mets: Jett Williams, SS, Rockwall-Heath (Texas) HS
15) Padres: Dylan Lesko, RHP, Buford HS, Ga.
16) Guardians: Chase DeLauter, OF, James Madison
17) Phillies: Justin Crawford, OF, Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas
18) Reds: Cam Collier, 3B, Chipola (Fla.) JC
19) A’s: Daniel Susac, C, Arizona
20) Braves: Owen Murphy, RHP, Riverside-Brookfield HS, Ill.
21) Mariners: Cole Young, SS, North Allegheny HS, Wexford, Pa.
22) Cardinals: Cooper Hjerpe, LHP, Oregon State
23) Blue Jays: Brandon Barriera, LHP, American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla.
24) Red Sox: Mikey Romero, SS, Orange Lutheran HS, Calif.
25) Yankees: Spencer Jones, OF, Vanderbilt
26) White Sox: Noah Schultz, LHP, Oswego East HS, Ill.
27) Brewers: Eric Brown Jr., SS, Coastal Carolina
28) Astros: Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee
29) Rays: Xavier Isaac, 1B, East Forsyth Senior HS, N.C.
30) Giants: Reggie Crawford, LHP/1B, Connecticut
31) Rockies: Sterlin Thompson, OF, Florida
32) Reds: Sal Stewart, 3B, Westminster Christian HS, Fla.
Competitive Balance Round A
33) Orioles: Dylan Beavers, OF, UC-Berkeley
34) D-backs: Landon Sims, RHP, Mississippi State
35) Braves: JR Ritchie, RHP, Bainbridge HS, Wash.
36) Pirates: Thomas Harrington, RHP, Campbell
37) Guardians: Justin Campbell, RHP, Oklahoma State
38) Rockies: Jordan Beck, OF, Tennessee
40) Dodgers: Dalton Rushing, C, Louisville
41) Red Sox: Cutter Coffey, SS, Liberty HS, Bakersfield, Calif.
42) Orioles: Max Wagner, 3B, Clemson
43) D-backs: Ivan Melendez, 1B, Texas
44) Pirates: Hunter Barco, LHP, Florida
45) Nationals: Jake Bennett, LHP, Oklahoma
46) Marlins: Jacob Miller, RHP, Liberty Union HS, Ohio
47) Cubs: Jackson Ferris, LHP, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.
48) Twins: Connor Prielipp, LHP, Alabama
49) Royals: Cayden Wallace, 3B, Arkansas
50) Rockies: Jackson Cox, RHP, Toutle Lake HS, Wash.
51) Tigers: Peyton Graham, SS, Oklahoma
52) Mets: Blade Tidwell, RHP, Tennessee
53) Padres: Adam Mazur, RHP, Iowa
54) Guardians: Parker Messick, LHP, Florida State
55) Reds: Logan Tanner, C, Mississippi State
56) A’s: Henry Bolte, OF, Palo Alto (Calif.) HS
57) Braves: Cole Phillips, RHP, Boerne (Texas) HS
58) Mariners: Tyler Locklear, 3B/1B, Virginia Commonwealth
59) Cardinals: Brycen Mautz, LHP, San Diego
60) Blue Jays: Josh Kasevich, SS, Oregon
61) Yankees: Drew Thorpe, RHP, Cal Poly
62) White Sox: Peyton Pallette, RHP, Arkansas
63) Brewers: Jacob Misiorowski, RHP, Crowder JC, Mo.
64) Astros: Jacob Melton, OF, Oregon State
65) Rays: Brock Jones, OF, Stanford
66) Giants: Carson Whisenhunt, LHP, East Carolina
Competitive Balance Round B
67) Orioles: Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
68) Twins: Tanner Schobel, SS, Virginia Tech
69) A’s: Clark Elliott, OF, Michigan
70) Rays: Chandler Simpson, SS, Georgia Tech
71) Rays: Ryan Cermak, SS, Illinois State
72) Brewers: Robert Moore, 2B, Arkansas
73) Reds: Justin Boyd, OF, Oregon State
74) Mariners: Walter Ford, RHP, Pace (Fla.) HS
75) Mets: Nick Morabito, OF, Gonzaga College HS, Washington D.C.(Compensation for Noah Syndergaard signing with the Angels)
76) Braves: Blake Burkhalter, RHP, Auburn(Compensation for Freddie Freeman signing with the Dodgers)
77) Blue Jays: Tucker Toman, SS, Hammond School, S.C.(Compensation for Marcus Semien signing with the Rangers)
78) Blue Jays: Cade Doughty, 2B, Louisiana State(Compensation for Robbie Ray signing with the Mariners)
79) Red Sox: Roman Anthony, OF, Stoneman Douglas HS, Fla.(Compensation for Eduardo Rodriguez signing with the Tigers)
80) Astros: Andrew Taylor, RHP, Central Michigan(Compensation for Carlos Correa signing with the Twins)