Does Cristiano Ronaldo want to leave Manchester United?
Cristiano Ronaldo is questioning his future at Old Trafford and his suitability to Erik ten Hag’s system.
Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly assessing his options for next season as he does not feel he fits in the aggressive press-from-the-front system expected to be implemented by incoming manager Erik ten Hag.
The 37-year-old showed he is still more than capable of contributing at the highest level in 2021-22, scoring 18 goals in 30 Premier League appearances and six in seven in the Champions League.
With one year remaining on his contract, the Portugal icon would demand a fee, but there are reportedly some familiar faces interested in acquiring his services.
Ronaldo shuns Ten Hag
Jose Mourinho is said to be enquiring about the possibility of bringing Ronaldo to Roma, with the Italian club hoping the legendary coach can move the needle and convince him to return to Serie A, according to La Repubblica.
Mourinho will reportedly have to compete with the nostalgia factor as Sporting CP have also thrown their hat in the ring, with the thought Ronaldo may want to finish his career where it began at the Primeira Liga club he called home before he was first picked up by United in 2003.
If the five-time Ballon d’Or winner truly decides his time with United is up, as the report from the Italian outlet claims, there will undoubtedly be a bevy of suitors willing to bring in one of the game’s most marketable superstars.
– Arsenal are said to be “cautiously optimistic” of signing Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, although Sky Sports is reporting the club are hoping to pay closer to £30 million, rather than the £50m asking price.
– According to The Athletic, Arsenal are also targeting Leeds United winger Raphinha and Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez.
– ESPN is reporting Chelsea are investigating whether it is possible to replace Romelu Lukaku with Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski.
– United are expecting Barcelona to lower their asking price for Frenkie de Jong due to their financial problems, according to the Guardian.
– The Daily Mail is reporting Everton view Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis as a potential replacement for Richarlison if he leaves during this transfer window.