Gabriel Slonina signs six-year contract with Chelsea
The American goalkeeper signed a new contract with the Premier League side that will see him with Chelsea through June 2028.
Gabriel Slonina helped the Chicago Fire defeat the Vancouver Whitecaps 3-1 over the weekend and then traveled to London to finalize his deal with Chelsea FC. The United States men’s national team-eligible goalkeeper arrived in the British capital on Monday to undergo his medical examination before signing his new contract will see him stay with the Premier League side through June 2028.
Slonina will stay on loan at Chicago
After weeks of negotiations, the deal was finally sealed between the Chicago Fire, Chelsea FC and Slonina. The American goalkeeper will be returning later this week to the windy city where he will remain until November, on loan with the Fire for the remainder of the 2022 Major League Soccer campaign.
Slonina will be available to join the Blues in January and if Kepa’s loan to Napoli is finalized, the American goalkeeper will become Chelsea’s number two man, behind Mendy. Including add-ons, the deal was worth $15 million, and Slonina becomes the fifth most expensive transfer in MLS history.
MLS top transfer deals
1. Miguel Almirón - Atlanta United to Newcastle United for $26.4 million
2. Alphonso Davies - Vancouver Whitecaps to Bayern Munich $22 million
3. Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas to FC Augsburg for $18 million
4. Gonzalo Martínez - Atlanta United to Al-Nassr FC for $17.6 million
5. Gabriel Slonina - Chicago Fire to Chelsea FC for $15 million