What tiebreakers are used in the Qatar World Cup 2022 group stage?
Take a look at how teams are separated at the 2022 World Cup if they finish level on points in the group stage.
World Cup 2022: group-stage tiebreakers
According to FIFA regulations, the following tiebreakers will be used at World Cup 2022, in descending order of priority, if two or more countries are level on points at the end of the group stage in Qatar:
Overall group record
1. Goal difference in all group matches.
2. Goals scored in all group matches.
3. Number of points won in matches played between the teams level on points.
4. Goal difference in matches played between the teams level on points.
5. Goals scored in matches played between the teams level on points.
6. Highest “team conduct score” in the group stage.
Teams’ fair-play score is calculated by deducting one point for every yellow card; two points for every red card resulting from two bookings; four points for every straight red card; and five points for every yellow card and straight red card.
7. If teams cannot by separated by any of the six criteria above, FIFA will draw lots to determine who qualifies for the last 16.