Alonso ruled out of Bahrain Grand Prix on medical advice
The McLaren driver was involved in an horrific crash at the season opener in Australia and has been told not to race. Stoffel Vandoorne will stand in.
Fernando Alonso will not take part in this weekend's Grand Prix in Bahrain for medical reasons following his dramatic crash at the Australian GP.
"Following a decision by the FIA doctors, Fernando Alonso will not be participating in this weekend's 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix," McLaren said in a statement.
Stoffel Vandoorne will make his Formula 1 debut in place of Alonso. Belgian Vandoorne, last year's GP2 champion, is the Honda-powered team's official reserve driver.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that the decision had been taken after a medical examination at the Sakhir circuit on Thursday.
"Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds," the statement said.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: 20 January could be a key date for a new round of payments
- US Election 2020 Biden announces first nominations for White House cabinet
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in December?
- us news US Presidential Election & covid-19 updates: Trump, Biden, results, cases, latest news
- Champions League Juventus vs Ferencvaros: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- FOOTBALL Zlatan Ibrahimovic attacks EA Sports for using his image