Sprain means Inigo Martinez's season could well be over
The defender suffered a Grade II sprain to his left knee in today's session and with just two weeks of the season to go, he may not return this term.
Iñigo Martínez and Jonathas were late additions to the casualty list as Real Sociedad ended their preparations for Real Madrid's visit to Anoeta this morning. The Ondarroa-born centre-back, who only this week signed a new contract with the Txuri Urdin, picked up a knee injury at the end of today's workout in Anoeta.
Real Sociedad's medical staff confirmed the injury - a Grade II sprain, with partial tear to the patellar tendon. When asked about the defender in the pre-game press conference, coach Eusebio Sacristán said: "It's a Grade II injury and there's only two weeks of the competition left to play an with the injury he's got, it means we won't be able to count on him".
Iñigo joins a list of players who won't be available for La Real until the pre-season - Imanol Agirretxe, Sergio Canales, Carlos Martínez and Raúl Navas, the latter is still recovering from a long-term injury and has yet to appear since returning from his loan from Eibar.
Te recomendamos en English
- Brazil vs Argentina Brazil vs Argentina: most valuable starting XIs
- Brazil Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar: Pelé picks his preferred partner
- Barcelona Barcelona: Luis Suárez says Camp Nou need to find a new striker
- PSG Mbappé: PSG star to ignore Real Madrid and stay in Paris
- International football Maradona, Pelé: Brazil Argentina all-time best combined XI
- International Friendly Gaza violence puts Argentina-Uruguay friendly under threat