Serge Aurier: PSG defender detained after police fight
The full-back was taken into custody on Monday after he hit an officer outside a nightclub, according to police sources.
French police detained Paris Saint-Germain star Serge Aurier on Monday after he hit an officer outside a nightclub, police sources said.
Police said the player could spend the night in custody, with the possibility of extending his detention to 48 hours on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old Ivory Coast international, who has regularly been in trouble with his club, is alleged to have "insulted and hit a police officer", one source told AFP.
Paris Saint-Germain confirmed that Aurier was in custody, but made no other comment.
The incident occurred as Aurier was the subject of a police control when his Porsche Cayenne was causing traffic problems after he left a nightclub, a source told AFP.
Aurier was 'aggressive' and 'quite contemptuous' when police tried to breathalyse him. It was then he allegedly 'elbowed' the policeman in the throat.
The footballer has been held at a police station near the Champs Elysees for "deliberate violence against a person of public authority", the source added.
Paris Saint-Germain briefly suspended Aurier in February after he appeared in a video insulting club coach Laurent Blanc. Aurier later admitted he had carried out a 'stupid mistake' and apologised.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?