Juanfran in heartfelt letter to Atleti fans after penalty miss
In a message published on Atlético Madrid's website, he declared: "I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League" Atlético vs Real Madrid
Atlético Madrid defender Juanfran Torres has written a heartfelt letter to the club's fans after Los Rojiblancos lost on penalties to Real Madrid in Saturday's Champions League final.
With the clash at the San Siro ending 1-1 after extra time, Juanfran's spot-kick miss in the shoot-out proved crucial as Real claimed their 11th European crown.
In emotional scenes in the immediate aftermath of the defeat, the full-back made his way over to the Atlético section to apologise to the supporters.
And in a message published on the Vicente Calderón outfit's official website on Monday, Juanfran said: "I will never forget your displays of affection when I came to ask for forgiveness.
"Seeing my tears reflected in the faces of the thousands of Atléticos that packed that end of the stadium helped me cope with the tremendous sadness I felt in those hard times."
The Spain international concluded his letter by vowing that Los Colchoneros would bounce back to win Europe's premier club competition.
"Two years ago, I told you that we would return to a final, now I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League sooner or later," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL | PACKERS Rodgers: Packers Super Bowl contenders after 49ers win
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES What’s the latest on the NYC DOE covid-19 vaccine mandate?
- US NEWS What caused the Amtrak train derailment?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Ansu Fati returns to Barcelona after long layoff
- NFL Mahomes talks after Kansas City Chief's 30-24 defeat to Los Angeles Chargers
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ancelotti on Sheriff, Modric, Kroos, Zidane, Mendy