Atlético Madrid president Enrique Cerezo spoke to Gazzetta dello Sport’s dedicated transfer website Gazzamercato on Monday about the current transfer market and his club’s search for a striker and revealed that a deal to bring Diego Costa back to the Calderón from Chelsea is “close.”
“Bacca is a great player but we are not going to sign him,” Cerezo said. “We are not going to sign any striker from Serie A, the same goes for Higuaín and all the other players that have been mentioned.”
Cerezo also denied there had been any contact with Mauro Icardi, despite his wife and agent saying that the Calderón club were interested in the Argentinean: “His name is not on our agenda, we aren’t going to enter negotiations for him,” the Atlético chief stated.
On Costa, Cerezo was forthright: “We like him a lot, I admit it. We have spoken to the player and we’re working to bring him back to Madrid. It’s close, but I can’t say any more than that.”
Recommended in English
- GLOBAL NEWS How much money has baby shark made?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Francisco Gento, ‘The Gale of the Cantabrian Sea’
- NFL Seahawks fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team