Update: as of the morning of Wednesday 17 August, Fifa's Appeals Committee have not yet communicated the result of their decision.
12 August: Decision on Madrid's transfer ban expected
By tomorrow evening, Real Madrid will be a little clearer on their position in the transfer market. FIFA's Appeals Committee are due to make a decision on Madrid's demand to overturn a ban which will leave them unable to sign any new players for the duration of two inscription periods - punishment for the incorporation of eight foreign players who were under the legal age.
The case has been on hold for the past eight months. FIFA's Disciplinary Committee notified the club of the infringement, ban and a fine of 328,000 euros on 15 January. Madrid lodged an appeal and were granted an injunction on 29 January. That gave the club valuable time, as it meant the sentence would not be ruled before 1 July when the first transfer window opened. It enabled Madrid to register Morata and Asensio and sign Paraguayan Sergio Díaz for Castilla.
If the FIFA sanction becomes effective from today or tomorrow, Madrid will not be allowed to loan out any players - and that would involve Mariano and Martin Ødegaard... who the club want to loan out and recover for the start of next season. Even if the ban is confirmed, Madrid will not give up the fight. They have studied the case involving Barcelona, who served a ban for the same reasons, and the club's legal department have prepared a case to take to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, in which they would seek a second injunction.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August