Eliud Kipchoge wins marathon gold for Kenya in Rio
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze behind the double London Marathon winner.
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge won the men's Olympic marathon with a dominating performance, running alone into the Sambódromo and finishing in two hours, eight minutes and 44 seconds on Sunday.
Lilesa silver and Rupp bronze
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze on a soggy course.
London marathon winner
Kipchoge, 31, has now won seven of the eight marathons he has entered, including two London Marathon victories.
In previous Olympic appearances, in 2004 and 2008, he had competed in the 5,000 metres before shifting his focus to the longer distance.
It marked the third straight time a Kenyan had claimed a spot on the Olympic podium, following silver and bronze performances in 2012 and a 2008 gold.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUMOUR MILL Saudi crown prince to make new Man United offer - rumours
- Manchester United won't wait 30 years for title – Solskjaer aims dig at Liverpool
- MALLORCA 1 - 0 REAL MADRID "We didn't lack motivation or intensity” - Marcelo after Real Madrid's defeat to Mallorca
- LALIGA Mallorca record famous win over Real Madrid
- Crystal Palace 0-2 Manchester City Manchester City back in the groove
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Joao Félix out with sprained ankle