Eliud Kipchoge wins marathon gold for Kenya in Rio
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze behind the double London Marathon winner.
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge won the men's Olympic marathon with a dominating performance, running alone into the Sambódromo and finishing in two hours, eight minutes and 44 seconds on Sunday.
Lilesa silver and Rupp bronze
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze on a soggy course.
London marathon winner
Kipchoge, 31, has now won seven of the eight marathons he has entered, including two London Marathon victories.
In previous Olympic appearances, in 2004 and 2008, he had competed in the 5,000 metres before shifting his focus to the longer distance.
It marked the third straight time a Kenyan had claimed a spot on the Olympic podium, following silver and bronze performances in 2012 and a 2008 gold.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID James won't play for Real Madrid again and is looking for a new club
- Fred issues Man Utd Europa League warning
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Man City vs Real Madrid, Juventus vs Lyon
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane