Eliud Kipchoge wins marathon gold for Kenya in Rio
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze behind the double London Marathon winner.
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge won the men's Olympic marathon with a dominating performance, running alone into the Sambódromo and finishing in two hours, eight minutes and 44 seconds on Sunday.
Lilesa silver and Rupp bronze
Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa claimed the silver medal and American Galen Rupp took the bronze on a soggy course.
London marathon winner
Kipchoge, 31, has now won seven of the eight marathons he has entered, including two London Marathon victories.
In previous Olympic appearances, in 2004 and 2008, he had competed in the 5,000 metres before shifting his focus to the longer distance.
It marked the third straight time a Kenyan had claimed a spot on the Olympic podium, following silver and bronze performances in 2012 and a 2008 gold.
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF Tiger Woods congratulates history-making Matsuyama
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood and Rashford need another year of Cavani at Man Utd - Neville
- QATAR 2022 Lusail will be the last World Cup stadium to be inaugurated
- REAL MADRID Zidane won't risk Hazard for Real Madrid clash with Liverpool
- BAYERN MUNICH Lewandowski back running as Muller targets Bayern victory over PSG
- QATAR International Table Tennis Federation awards Aspetar