Cristiano: "Atlético also deserved to win the Champions League"
In an interview with UEFA.com, Cristiano Ronaldo has discussed his silverware successes last season with both Real Madrid and Portugal.
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo has spoken of his sympathy for Atlético Madrid over last season's Champions League, admitting that they also merited the trophy - although he went on to stress that Real were the better team in the final.
Having already beaten Atlético at that stage of the competition in 2014, Madrid secured the European Cup at their city rivals' expense once more in May as Cristiano's winning penalty sealed a shoot-out victory for Zinedine Zidane's men.
"Atlético are an excellent side"
And in an interview with UEFA.com, the Portuguese said of the clash in Milan: "It was an amazing experience. Once again against Atlético Madrid, who are an excellent side and also deserved to win the Champions League...
"But Real Madrid were better," he added. "We had a bit of luck in the shoot-out because penalties are always a lottery. It was the pinnacle of a difficult season for Real in which we were ultimately able to win the biggest trophy in club football."
"I didn't think Portugal could win the Euros"
Speaking ahead of Thursday's announcement of the recipient of the 2015/16 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award - for which he is nominated alongside Gareth Bale and Antoine Griezmann - 'CR7' also reflected on helping Portugal to a maiden major title at Euro 2016.
"Before the Euros we expected Portugal to have a good European Championship, get through the group stage, get through the quarter-finals and from there we saw everything as a bonus," he said.
"To be honest I didn't think Portugal could win the Euros. But match by match I started believing it was possible. In the end we deserved it, we played as a team and our players are to be congratulated."
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Iván Zamorano: “Raúl Jiménez is as good or even better than Karim Benzema”
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: US citizens buying more guns amid pandemic
- Coronavirus USA Coronavirus: how will stimulus checks work in the United States?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Bill Gates told Rafa Nadal Covid-19 pandemic would become "complicated"
- CORONAVIRUS | INDIA How to apply for Delhi curfew passes online?
- REAL MADRID Racing president: "Lautaro turned down Madrid when he was 18"