Step by step, on our way to the "twelfth"
This notion that major draws are manipulated is an infantile idea. In every Champions League competition every team will come up against tough uncompromising opposition along with easier teams. It's not a time for making excuses, roll up your sleeves and make do with the cards you've been dealt with.
I remember well that the 1987 Madrid "Quinta del Buitre" side were pitted with Porto (who were holders at the time of the European Cup), Napoli (with Maradona and Careca) and German side Bayern Múnich. Three tough ties. In the semi-final Madrid were drawn against PSV, a team deemed average at the time but who eliminated Madrid thanks largely to the heroics of their keeper: Van Breukelen.
It's been reported that Thursday's draw has been favorable to Madrid as they seek to secure their twelfth European success. There is no getting away from the fact that Legia Warsaw are the weakest side in the group and six points against the Poles should be Zidane's objective. Borussia Dortmund are a different matter with the Bundesliga side looking excellent with the likes of Schürrle, Dembelé and Götze as new recruits and positive additions to the existing striking prowess of Aubameyang. The memories of the 2012/13 Champions League are still fresh with 4 goals from Lewandowski doing the damage. Both matches should be excellent.
Sporting de Portugal should not be taken lightly either. Cristiano can state that "it all started there" for him. It was with the Lisbon based side where the young Cristiano took his his first major steps in the professional game. Both matches will no doubt be tinged with nostalgia for the Best Player of the 21st century. At the age of 31, the player from Madeira keeps collecting awards. The 11th European Cup, Uefa Super Cup and now Best Player in Europe 2015. Another treble in his list of hat-tricks. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"