A female referee stopped a football game in the Catalan second division after a spectator told her to “go wash the dishes” on Sunday.
Marta Galego, who was refereeing the match between UE Valls and Cambrils Unió, brought play to a halt after hearing the sexist comment come from the stands and ordered the offending person to be removed so the game could be restarted.
The spectator, a club member of UE Valls, took three minutes to expelled from the ground after which the game resumed. Other fans at the game applauded the referee’s decision, which Galego noted down in her pad, surely with the intention of reporting the incident to the Catalan Football Federation.
Making a stance
Unfortunately there have been other incidents in Spanish football recently where abuse has led to actions being taken by the individual concerned or associated bodies. In Andalusia, an openly gay referee quit his job after the verbal attacks became intolerable.
In another case, the Spanish Football Federation’s disciplinary committee announced that it is to open proceedings against Sporting Gijón for an “incident among the crowd” during the match against Athletic Bilbao in mid-August. Monkey noises were being directed at Iñaki Williams from one of the stands.
AS will bring you the report from any investigations as soon as they are released.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT | HALLOWEEN MOVIES How to watch all Michael Myer's Halloween movies in order and where to find them
- NFL Who's left for Rodgers after Adams, Lazard out due to COVID
- SOCCER | LALIGA Ancelotti hits out Barca fans who showed Koeman 'a lack of respect'
- MLB Braves and Astros finalize roster ahead of World Series Game 1
- CORONAVIRUS | COVID-19 VACCINES Pfizer vaccine recommended for children 5 - 11; when could young children get vaccinated?
- Best haunted houses in Texas, Illinois, Michigan: corn mazes, asylums, and car washes