Djokovic to miss China Open with elbow injury
The world number one has admitted he's "extremely disappointed" after confirming he won't be defending his title in Beijing.
Six-time champion Novak Djokovic has been forced to pull out of next week's China Open because of an elbow injury, according to a statement on his website.
The world number one has won 29 straight matches at the event, taking his first title there in 2009 and last year defeating rival Rafael Nadal in the final.
"I am extremely disappointed not to be able to compete at the China Open this year," said Djokovic, who hasn't played since losing the US Open final to Stan Wawrinka.
"I'm still recovering from my elbow injury and have been advised not to play until my condition improves," he added.
"One of my favourite tournaments"
"The China Open is one of my favourite tournaments... I love competing in front of the passionate Chinese fans and I look forward to coming back to Beijing in the future."
The 18th edition of the tournament will be held at the National Tennis Center in Beijing from 3-9 October.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID 4 games in 12 days that could shape Real Madrid's season
- 2019 Gulf Cup Bahrain beat Saudi Arabia to win the 2019 Gulf Cup
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's 'RBV', Zidane's alternative to the 'BBC'
- Aston Villa vs Leicester City Jamie Vardy becomes first player to score in eight straight PL games since ... Jamie Vardy!
- Serie A Zlatan to Serie A not a foregone conclusion, says Raiola
- REAL MADRID Bale back in full training with Real Madrid