Costa: "not surprised" by Atlético storming to LaLiga summit
The Chelsea striker is confident that club team mate Cesc Fàbregas will get recalled by Spain: “He knows he has the chance to come back”.
Costa, happy to see Atlético top of the table
Diego Costa arrived for duty with the Spain squad at the Ciudad del Fútbol in Las Rozas beaming from ear to ear. The striker loves living in London but he also has great memories of his time in the Spanish capital, and he's delighted to be back with his old club Atlético de Madrid top of the table. “I always follow Atlético and watch what they're doing", he told reporters on arrival in Las Rozas today. "They're doing really well and I am so happy for them. Atlético have been at this level for a few years - battling for every trophy and beating the best sides. I'm not surprised because they're a top side and they deserve it”.
Costa also spoke about other matters - including Thursday's qualifier against Italy and club team mate Cesc Fàbregas, who he feels will be back with the national team at a later date.
Italy: “It's always important to be called back by the national team. Italy is one of our direct rivals and we will have to use these days to train hard and do everything right on Thursday”
Great moment of form: “I think we have yet to see my best moment but with time, we will; I have plenty of time ahead of me to show what I can do”.
Competition for places in attack: “I'm ready to help out. There's Morata and other quality players to make sure we do a good job”.
Cesc: “He knows that he has the chance to come back to the national team one day”.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash