Wenger shuts down Bellerín transfer speculation
The Arsenal manager told the press this morning that the club would offer the young full-back, who has been linked with a move to Barcelona and Manchester City, a new deal.
Arsene Wenger has shut down speculation linking Héctor Bellerín with a move away from Arsenal, confirming at a press conference on Thursday morning that the club will extend the 21 year-old’s contract at the Emirates.
Bellerín has started all of Arsenal’s Premier League and Champions League games so far this season and is considered to be one of the most promising up-and-coming full backs in world football. His rise has not gone unnoticed, with rumours of a move to either Manchester City or home-town club Barcelona abounding in the press.
Arsenal to extend Bellerín deal
"He has nearly three years left on his deal but we always try to get the players to the level where they deserve to be,” said Wenger. “So we'll try to extend his contract as well. For me, his long-term future is here."
A contract extension could be lucrative for Bellerín, with reports suggesting that a new deal could see him earn over £50,000 a week.
Wenger praised the full-back’s “absolutely fantastic” development and his growth since his difficult debut against Borussia Dortmund back in 2014.
Bellerín has taken Arsenal's values on board, says Wenger
“I think in life you do not necessarily have to play where you were born,” he added, referring to rumoured interest from Barcelona. “Modern life is not exactly like that. What is important is that a player meets his needs where he is, and his values.
“I think he integrated very well the values of our club. He came at a very, very young age, at 16 years of age, so I think he's a real Arsenal player,” he continued. “I think he loves to be here, and he has responsibilities already in the dressing room. For such a young age it's something remarkable.”