Cibulkova knocks Halep out of WTA Finals in Singapore
The Slovakian will have to wait to learn if she has done enough for a place in the semi-finals but Halep fell one set short of reaching the knock-out stage.
Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova claimed her first victory at the WTA Finals on Thursday, beating Simona Halep of Romania 6-3 7-6 (7-5) in their last round-robin match.
The result eliminated Halep from the $7 million tournament and ensured world number one Angelique Kerber a place in Saturday's semi-finals, regardless of the outcome of her match with Madison Keys.
Cibulkova waits for semi-final fate
Cibulkova, beaten in her first two Red Group matches, remained unsure of whether she would progress or not. The 27-year-old will qualify for the semis if Kerber beats Keys in straight-sets but if the American wins at least one set, she will go through instead.
Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova had already booked her spot in the knockout rounds as the winner of the White Group. The defending champion, Agnieszka Radwanska plays US Open finalist Karolina Pliskova on Friday to decide the last semi-finalist in the elite eight-player event.
Halep one set short
Halep, a runner-up at the end-of-season championship two years ago, made a great start to the tournament with a comfortable win against Keys only to lose her last two matches in straight sets.
She only needed to win one set against Cibulkova to remain in contention for the playoffs but bowed out after dropping the first after just 29 minutes, hitting a forehand return over the baseline, then the second in a tiebreak with another return error.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early