The 10 nominees for the 2016 Puskás Award have been announced, with four Spain-based players on the list: Atlético’s Saúl for his solo goal against Bayern Munich in the Champions League; Neymar for his strike against Villarreal; Leo Messi for his free-kick in the Copa América and Mario Gaspar for his goal on his Spain debut.
The winner will be decided by fans’ votes on the Fifa.com website and the award handed out on January 9 at the Fifa gala.
Puskás Award shortlist:
- Mario Gaspar (Spain). November 13, 2015. International friendly against England.
- Neymar (Barcelona). November 8, 2015. La Liga match against Villarreal.
- Marlone (Corinthians). April 21, 2016. Copa Liberadores match against Cobresal.
-Hal Robson-Kanú (Wales). July 1, 2016. Euro 2016 quarter-final against Belgium.
- Daniuska Rodríguez (Venezuela). March 14, 2016. Copa América under-17 match against Colombia.
- Simon Scrabb (Atvidaberg). October 31, 2015. Swedish league match against Gelfie.
- Faiz Subri (Pulau Pinang). February 16, 2016. Malaysian league match against Pahan.
- Leo Messi (Argentina). June 21, 2016. Copa América match against USA.
-Saúl (Atlético Madrid). April 27, 2016. Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich.
- Hlompo Kekana (South Africa). March 26, 2016. Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Cameroon.
Recommended in English
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- NFL Mac Jones continues his case as best rookie QB of the season
- NFL Cam Newton’s dreams of being Panthers savior shattered
- SOCCER 2021 Ballon d'Or awards ceremony: times, TV, how to watch and stream