MLS name David Villa as MVP
The former Valencia, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker has been in excellent form for New York City Football Club and admits it is a dream come true to be named player of the year.
New York City Football Club's David Villa was named MLS' MVP on Tuesday along with being named in the best XI of the year alongside the likes of Sebastian Giovinco of Tortonoand Bradley Wright-Phillips of the New York Red Bulls.
Speaking after picking up his award, Villa said "Two & a half years ago when I came here, many assumed I came to MLS to retire but I came to be competitive."
New York City FC
The 35-year-old has certainly been that, scoring 18 goals in his first season and 23 - one of leading scorer Wright-Phillips - during his second season. Villa's side were knocked out of the MLS playoffs by Toronto, having lost 0-7 over two legs in the semi-finals.
Proud moment for Villa
Villa also said winning the MVP was a goal he had set himself when he arrived in the Big Apple and and also praised the quality of the league and his competition for the award: "This award is for the best player in this amazing league which has many quality players so this is a very happy and proud day for me."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS How can I register to vote in New Jersey?
- USMNT Christian Pulisic is ‘really suffering’ after ankle injury setbacks
- MLS Landon Donovan rejects the Real Salt Lake managerial job
- SOCCER Barcelona close to agreeing new Ansu Fati contract - Koeman
- NBA Milwaukee Bucks 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA Los Angeles Lakers 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades