Real Madrid express their "complete support" for Ramos
The club issued a statement calling for respect to their captain, "whose conduct has been exemplary throughout his career", in tomorrow's league game at Sevilla.
Real Madrid have confirmed their "complete support" for centre-back and captain Sergio Ramos in the wake of the insults which the player was subjected to by home fans during Thursday's Copa del Rey return leg against Sevilla at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán. In a club statement released this morning, Madrid gave their support to Ramos "whose conduct is, and has always been, exemplary throughout his sporting career, to the point where he now represents a benchmark in values for all fans of football and sport in general". The statement is a call to fans to respect the Madrid captain in tomorrow's LaLiga Santander game when he willface his hometown club for the second time in four days.
Ramos replied to the abuse he was getting from the stands on Thursday night with a 'Panenka-style' penalty which made it 3-2, then cupped his ears, defiantly staring at the home supporters and gesturing to ask the rest of the Sánchez-Pizjuán for forgiveness. Real Madrid have asked Sevilla fans to show "respect and tolerance" towards their former player in Sunday's game.
Real Madrid's statement
1. Real Madrid expresses its complete support for our and the Spanish national team's captain, Sergio Ramos, whose conduct is and has always been exemplary throughout his sporting career, to the point where he now represents a benchmark in values for all fans of football and sport in general.
2. Real Madrid has been uncompromising in applying a zero-tolerance policy towards violence with absolute conviction, acting forcefully to renounce those whose conduct tarnishes the good image that football should project. The sport should be a meeting place and common ground, not an environment of insults, hurling objects or any other manifestation of violence.
3. Real Madrid has always highlighted its willingness to collaborate with other clubs to eradicate violence at football stadiums and we therefore join the call made by Sevilla F.C. in their statement, for the fans attending tomorrow's game do so to enjoy the sport on a basis of respect and tolerance.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card
- MLB The regular season is closing in, and the division champions are not yet decided
- FINANCIAL NEWS Is the Evergrande bankruptcy affecting the US stock market?
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US: are the new variants more dangerous for children?