Cruzeiro coach Menezes admits he didn't ask for Lucas Silva back
Silva rejoined Brazilian side Cruzeiro from Real Madrid in the January transfer window, but Menezes told Fox Sports that he already had sufficient cover in that position so never requested the move.
Cruzeiro coach Mano Menezes has admitted that he didn’t ask the club to resign former player Lucas Silva at the end of January, two years after the midfielder left for Real Madrid in a €14m deal.
Talking to Fox Sports, however, Menezes revealed that he had requested the 22-year old’s transfer as his position was already sufficiently covered in the Cruzeiro squad.
"We already have the players in that part of pitch"
"We did not ask for another centre-midfielder,” he said. “We already have the players in that part of pitch where Lucas Silva plays, but I always say that we have to be open to new players."
Menezes also revealed that the operation only began to see traction on the last day of the window.
"The situation was very complicated and it was only at the last minute when Madrid released the player. Lucas did the medical examinations in Sao Paulo, he passed them and that was when it became official."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August