Lionel Messi's Argentina will take on Neymar's Brazil in a 'Superclasico' friendly in Melbourne in June, Australian officials said Friday.
The top two teams in the FIFA rankings will clash in the 100,000-capacity Melbourne Cricket Ground, the world's biggest cricket stadium, on June 9.
"There's no bigger occasion in football than when Brazil takes on Argentina, and it's coming to Melbourne," said Victoria's state tourism minister, John Eren.
"The match is set to feature current FIFA World Player of the Year, Lionel Messi, and Brazilian star Neymar Jr," a state government statement added.
Possible Australia match
The Australian newspaper reported in December that Brazil or Argentina was likely to stay on and play Australia, who are headed to the Confederations Cup in Russia later in June.
The great South American rivalry has been dominated in recent years by Brazil, who have not lost to Argentina since 2012.
Messi, 29, last played at the MCG a decade ago when Argentina beat Australia 1-0.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT When is Adele's '30' album coming out? Where can I listen to it?
- NBA Best paid NBA players in 2021/22 season
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight Week 6? | TV and times
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Newcastle's new owners consider move for Erling Haaland
- SOCCER | PREMIER LEAGUE "Salah has to experience Real Madrid"
- LALIGA SANTANDER Barcelona boosted as Agüero and Fati in squad for Valencia game