Athletic and APOEL fans clash in central Bilbao
A Cypriot supporter was hospitalised with facial injuries as 1,600 APOEL fans are expected in a game declared as high risk.
Follow the coverage of Europa League round of 16 Draw
Fighting broke out last night in the historic centre of Bilbao as ultras from the Basque side fought with APOEL Nicosia supporters in town for the Europa League round of 16 first leg.
The altercation occurred beside the Arriaga Theatre at 22:00 CET and as a result a Cypriot supporter was taken to Basurto hospital with injuries to his face following the impact of a bottle.
The fight was quickly broken up by swift police intervention. 1,600 APOEL fans are expected to attend the Europa League game at San Mamés (kick-off 21:05 CET) and the presence of 200 APOEL ultras has deemed the game declared as "high-risk" by local Bilbao law enforcement agencies.
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCCER Atlético Madrid: Trippier has his future mapped out
- NFL Buffalo Bills 31 vs Tennessee Titans 34 summary: score, stats, and highlights | NFL Week 6
- MLB Boston Red Sox annihilate Houston Astros in Game 3
- NFL NFL week 6 highlights: scores, updates, big wins and losses
- USMNT Gio Reyna could miss November international break
- NBA LeBron discusses injuries ahead of Lakers-Warriors clash