Messi penalty seals crucial win for Argentina
La Albiceleste won 1-0 against neighbours Chile in Buenos Aires, courtesy of a penalty from the Barcelona forward. Three crucial points in race for Russia 2018.
Lionel Messi scored from the penalty spot as Argentina revived their World Cup qualifying campaign with a battling 1-0 win over rivals Chile on Thursday.
Messi scores the winner
Barcelona star Messi stroked home his penalty on 16 minutes after veteran Chile defender Jose Fuenzalida brought down Angel Di Maria with a clumsy challenge. The goal settled a tense battle at Buenos Aires' famous Estadio Monumental between the two South American heavyweights.
Argentina lost back-to-back Copa America finals against Chile in 2015 and 2016, losing on penalties on both occasions. Last year, Messi was distraught after missing his penalty in the shootout at the Copa America Centenario in New York.
But the diminutive maestro made no mistake on Thursday, drilling his spot-kick beyond former Barcelona teammate Claudio Bravo to secure a vital three points for the two-time world champions.
The win leaves Argentina in third place overall in the 10-team qualifying competition with 22 points from 13 games. On Tuesday, Edgardo Bauza's team will look to record a more convincing display against Bolivia. Yet, taking the altitude in La Paz in to account, this will not be straightforward.
The top four finishers qualify automatically for next year's finals in Russia.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Does Medicaid cover dental? How can I find a clinic that accepts Medicaid?
- US NEWS Who controls gas prices in the United States? How can the price of gas go down?
- US NEWS Why are gas pricing increasing in October 2021?
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many numbers are in a Social Security Number?
- SOCCER Pelé moving 'closer to the goal' as Brazil great continues recovery
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE New setback for Atlético Madrid's Marcos Llorente