Gerrard: Figo admits Real Madrid regret over Liverpool great
After Liverpool Legends beat Real Madrid Legends, Luis Figo confessed that he wishes he'd been able to play with Steven Gerrard at Real.
Luis Figo revealed he wishes Steven Gerrard had played with him at Real Madrid after watching the ex-Liverpool captain shine in an all-star charity match at Anfield.
Gerrard rolls back years for Liverpool Legends
Gerrard was in sparkling form on Saturday as Liverpool Legends beat Real Madrid Legends 4-3 in a fixture in aid of the Liverpool Football Club Foundation.
Gerrard, now back at Anfield as a member of the coaching staff, retired in November after ending his playing career with the LA Galaxy in Major League Soccer.
The former England skipper had a role in all four of Liverpool's goals against Real Madrid, scoring one, setting up two and also winning a penalty.
At his peak, Gerrard was a target for some of the world's leading clubs, but stayed loyal to his hometown team before eventually moving to the US in 2015.
Figo: "It was a pity but for Liverpool it was lucky"
And Figo was in no doubt that Gerrard would have held his own among the 'Galácticos' in the celebrated Real side of his time in Madrid.
"The moment in life when we had the possibility to play together, that wasn't possible. I think it is a pity because everyone wants to play with the best," he said.
"I think Gerrard showed in his career he was one of the best footballers in his position.
"It was a pity but for Liverpool it was lucky because he could show his quality and talent here, at Anfield."
Follow the live coverage match of Premier League Week 29 between: Liverpool vs Everton.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped