Kwesi Appiah back for second spell as Ghana coach
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has re-appointed Kwesi Appiah as the head coach of the senior national team.
Kwesi Appiah is to take charge of the Ghana national team for a second time after being re-appointed by the Black Stars on a two-year contract.
Appiah was previously Ghana boss from April 2012 to September 2014, leaving by mutual consent after an unsuccessful World Cup campaign in Brazil, which was overshadowed by player expulsions and salary disputes.
The decision was taken by the Executive Committee of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) on Tuesday, with Appiah chosen ahead of candidates including former France and Bayern Munich defender Willy Sagnol and Cameroon coach Hugo Broos.
Appiah will leave his post as manager of Sudanese club Al Khartoum SC to begin his duties with Ghana’s national team on May 1st.
Appiah will be expected to revive Ghana’s hopes of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. Currently, the side occupy third spot in Group E with one point - five behind leaders Egypt and three off second-placed Uganda.
Appiah will also be tasked with ending Ghana’s trophy shortage at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. However, the Black Stars must overcome Ethiopia, Sierra Leona and Kenya in qualifying, which will begin this June.
Asamoah Gyan: "We will support Appiah"
Ghana’s captain, Asamoah Gyan, says that he and his team-mates will give their all to get behind Appiah as the new coach of the national team.
“I am yet to speak to my colleagues but I am sure they have heard and that we will all be looking forward with optimism. This is a new era and we will have to support him because he is one of our own,” said Gyan.
Ghana had been without a coach since former Chelsea and West Ham United boss Avram Grant ended his contract after an unfortunate fourth-place finish at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest