Real Sociedad midfielder Sergio Canales admitted that he almost "died of shame" when he entered the Real Madrid changing room for the first time aged just 18 and spoke about when the reality of actually playing in the first division dawned on him.
Sergio Canales on entering the Madrid changing room for the first time aged 18
"I almost died of shame. I didn't know where to sit or who to sit next to. I was surrounded by all of these players who I had always admired so much, and now here I was, in the same changing room and one of them", Canales explained in an interview in the May edition of Vogue magazine.
The Cantanbrian added that he didn't elect football to be his career but the sport chose him. "I stood out for my playing abilities when I was in school and before I knew it, I was playing in the First Division". The 26-year-old has shown incredible character and resilience in bouncing back from not just one serious knee injury, but three. "I have received messages of support and overcoming adversity from thousands of people, but I don't feel that I am an example to anyone or anything. My message to those who have suffered an injury is that you come out the other end and get over it. I've done it three times".
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 21 de abril de 2017
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Asensio magic sets up Spain's Olympic final showdown with Brazil
- SOCCER Van Gaal named Netherlands head coach for third time
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest
- NBA Carmelo to join LeBron and the Lakers
- TOKYO OLYMPICS De Grasse succeeds Bolt as McLaughlin breaks record