De Laurentiis: Maurizio Sarri can be Napoli's Ferguson
The film mogul and San Paolo president is so impressed with his coach's first two seasons with Napoli that he says the coach has a job for life.Napoli vs Manchester City live online
Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri can become the Serie A side's Alex Ferguson and remain with the Partenopei for life, according to president Aurelio De Laurentiis.
The 58-year-old was a surprise replacement for Rafael Benítez in June 2015 but the former Empoli boss has turned Napoli into Serie A title contenders.
In his 95 matches in charge, Sarri has won 61 in all competitions - losing only 16 - and for a second successive season they are challenging in the higher reaches of the table.
Such is Sarri's impact at San Paolo, De Laurentiis says he has a job for as long as he wants.
Di Laurentiis: "It pleases me that my intuition was right"
"What pleases me is that my intuition with Sarri was right," he told Il Mattino.
"When I got him from Empoli I saw banners that challenged the choice. But I had always been convinced of having selected the right option.
"He will be the coach of Napoli for much longer, because he has a multi-year contract with a clause which only comes into effect next year.
"This is his home, for me he can remain living in Naples for life and can decide to take on a 'Ferguson' role."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In