Thomas angry as stray police motorbike damages Giro hopes
Geraint Thomas was injured during the Giro d'Italia after a stray motorbike caused a massive crash, leaving the Team Sky man five minutes off the lead.
Geraint Thomas cut a frustrated figure at the end of stage nine at the Giro d'Italia after his general classification hopes were dented by a stray police motorbike.
Geraint Thomas suffers bad luck
The Team Sky rider went into Sunday's stage second overall and was well placed heading into the day's final climb when he was sent sprawling on the tarmac.
That couldn't have been much worse. Really shouldn't have happened!!! I'm ok though, around to fight another day. Thanks for the messages— Geraint Thomas (@GeraintThomas86) May 14, 2017
Wilco Kelderman was the man to cause the accident that also took out Thomas' team-mate Mikel Landa and fellow Brit Adam Yates, but the Team Sunweb rider was not at fault.
The culpability belonged to the stationary police bike that was not parked far enough off the road and clipped the Dutchman, sending him into the peloton.
INCREDIBLE that a motorbike has again not only disrupted a bike race but also jeopardized the health/career of the bike racers. #Giro100— David Millar (@millarmind) May 14, 2017
Quintana moves ahead
Thomas was able to resume the race, but as Nairo Quintana stretched away atop Blockhaus, the Welshman could only come home five minutes down - all but ending his GC chances.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds