Vinicius Junior: Flamengo starlet makes professional debut
The 16-year-old, who is in line to join Real Madrid, played 10 minutes of Flamengo's draw with Atlético Mineiro, swapping shirts with Robinho.
Real Madrid target Vinicius Junior made his professional debut in Flamengo's Brazilian league clash against Atlético Mineiro on Saturday evening, exchanging shirts with childhood hero Robinho after the final whistle.
Senior debut as late Flamengo substitute against Mineiro
The 16-year-old attacker, who is expected to join Real in 2018 having undergone a medical with the LaLiga giants in recent days, came on for the final 10 minutes of the 1-1 draw at the Maracana.
Vinicius struggled to make an impact during his short time on the pitch, admitting that nerves played a part in his low-key first-team bow.
"The fans were chanting my name and I got nervous," explained the Brazil Under-17 starlet, who also spoke of his delight at being handed his debut.
"I want to thank the coach for giving me this opportunity," he said. "I hope it's a year of many wins."
Vinicius Junior: "Robinho's been my idol since I was a little kid"
On his post-match jersey swap with Mineiro's ex-Real ace, Vinicius revealed: "Robinho's been my idol since I was a little kid and today I was able to play against him. That's why I asked him for his shirt."
Recommended in English
- GLOBAL NEWS How much money has baby shark made?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Francisco Gento, ‘The Gale of the Cantabrian Sea’
- NFL Seahawks fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team