Hayden in critical state after being knocked off bike by car
Former MotoGP champion Nicky Hayden was treated at the scene after he was knocked off his bicycle by a car while riding along the Rimini coastline on Wednesday.
Former MotoGP champion Nicky Hayden has been taken to hospital and is in a critical state after he was hit by a car while training on his bicycle in Italy.
The 35-year-old American was riding along the Rimini coastline when the accident happened on Wednesday.
Hayden suffered injuries to his head and chest
Hayden, competing for Red Bull Honda in the Superbike World Championship, was treated at the scene before being transported to a local hospital. He suffered injuries to his chest and head and was sent for surgery.
A statement on the Superbike World Championship website said: "Nicky Hayden (Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team) has been involved in a training incident which saw the American hit by a car when he was out training on his bicycle.
"The incident occurred along the Rimini coastline this afternoon, where he has been spending time following the Motul Italian Round at Imola.
"Following the incident, emergency services were called to the scene and Hayden was transported to the local hospital. Ambulances arrived and Hayden was taken directly to the hospital."
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?