Real Madrid beat Celta Vigo 4-1 on Wednesday to move within a point of the LaLiga title, but were pushed harder at Balaídos than the scoreline suggested.
Indeed, the intensity of the hosts' display saw Cristiano Ronaldo suggest to Celta's Gustavo Cabral that there was more in it for them than just the three points.
Cristiano in confrontation with Cabral
In images captured by TV channels Movistar+ and Gol, Cristiano can be seen arguing with Cabral over a perceived dive by the forward, which occurred moments after home striker Iago Aspas had been harshly shown a second yellow card for simulation.
Cristiano to Cabral: "You, lots of money"
Cristiano first appears to be trying to persuade Cabral that he did not dive, telling the Argentine defender that the two incidents were "not the same".
The 32-year-old then seems to yell: "You, lots of money. Maletín!"
'Maletín', which translates as 'briefcase', is a slang term in Spanish used to refer to the practice of a team with nothing left to play for being paid an incentive to win by a third party that is impacted by the outcome of the match.
The images also show Cristiano rubbing his fingers together in the universal 'money' gesture, and miming the action of carrying a briefcase.
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Chiefs record 12th successive win over Broncos
- NFL What happened with Ravens' failed two-point conversion against the Steelers in Week 13
- NFL Patrick Mahomes on what the Kansas City Chiefs need
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Casemiro in no doubt that Mbappé is compatible with Vinicius
- MANCHESTER UNITED Chris Armas: who is the US coach set to join Manchester United?