Real Madrid beat Celta Vigo 4-1 on Wednesday to move within a point of the LaLiga title, but were pushed harder at Balaídos than the scoreline suggested.
Indeed, the intensity of the hosts' display saw Cristiano Ronaldo suggest to Celta's Gustavo Cabral that there was more in it for them than just the three points.
Cristiano in confrontation with Cabral
In images captured by TV channels Movistar+ and Gol, Cristiano can be seen arguing with Cabral over a perceived dive by the forward, which occurred moments after home striker Iago Aspas had been harshly shown a second yellow card for simulation.
Cristiano to Cabral: "You, lots of money"
Cristiano first appears to be trying to persuade Cabral that he did not dive, telling the Argentine defender that the two incidents were "not the same".
The 32-year-old then seems to yell: "You, lots of money. Maletín!"
'Maletín', which translates as 'briefcase', is a slang term in Spanish used to refer to the practice of a team with nothing left to play for being paid an incentive to win by a third party that is impacted by the outcome of the match.
The images also show Cristiano rubbing his fingers together in the universal 'money' gesture, and miming the action of carrying a briefcase.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?