Lacazette: Griezmann the reason for Atlético Madrid move
The Lyon striker is said to have agreed to join Atlético Madrid and he has now revealed Antoine Griezmann's part in the discussions.
Alexandre Lacazette is on the verge of a move to Atlético Madrid after being given permission to speak to Diego Simeone's side and has said France team-mate Antoine Griezmann has been trying to convince him to leave Lyon for the Calderón for some time.
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas stated on Saturday that Diego Simeone's side have come to a verbal agreement with Lacazette over a move in the next transfer window.
The striker had already confirmed his intention to leave Ligue 1 at the end of the season and spoke highly of Atletico, although any deal would depend on a successful appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against a FIFA-imposed transfer ban.
Lacazette says the chance to join Atlético would be hard to reject and admits that Griezmann has been attempting to persuade him to move.
#Légende pic.twitter.com/ARj51WRWwU— Olympique Lyonnais (@OL) May 21, 2017
Lacazette: Antoine has been trying to get me to come to Atlético"
"They're one of the clubs that are hard to refuse," he said after Lyon's 3-3 draw with Nice on Saturday, in which he scored twice.
"Besides, Antoine has been trying for a while to get me to come."
Atlético's transfer ban was handed down in January 2016 by FIFA after they and Real Madrid were found guilty of a breach of laws regarding the international transfer of players under the age of 16.
Madrid had their punishment halved following an appeal, meaning they can sign players in the next transfer window. A decision on Atleti's appeal is yet to be announced.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In