Alonso impresses as Bourdais hurt in crash at Indy 500
After a decent qualifying performance, Fernando Alonso reached the Fast Nine Shootout at the Indy 500 and will contest pole position.
Double world Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso continued to impress at the Indy 500 as Sebastien Bourdais was involved in a horrific crash in qualifying.
Alonso was seventh-fastest on Saturday, booking a spot in Sunday's Fast Nine Shootout.
Alonso could clinch pole at Indy 500
The McLaren Honda Andretti driver has put himself in a position to potentially clinch pole for the May 28 race.
Ed Carpenter, Takuma Sato and Scott Dixon made up the top three.
It came after inclement weather delayed practice and qualifying at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where Bourdais was injured after a huge crash.
The Frenchman made heavy contact with the wall at turn two, requiring surgery after suffering multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip.
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL Aaron Rodgers calls out Biden's 'fake White House' after vaccine spat
- NFL How and where to watch Bills v Chiefs: Kickoff time, TV channel, live stream
- NFL 49ers 13 vs. 10 Packers summary: Gould FG seals Niners win, stats, and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Burrow sacked nine times in Bengals win over Titans
- NFL Chiefs Tyreek Hill fined $12K for pom-pom celebration vs Steelers