First goal for Los Rojiblancos
Fernando Torres scored his first offical goal for the Atlético Madrid first team on 3 June 2001. The rojibllanco striker, who came on to replace Kiko, scored an 80th-minute header to give Atlético all three points at the Carlos Belmonte Stadium. That same season, Atlético, playing in Spain's second division, narrowly missed out on promotion.
Torres, who is yet to renew his contract at the club, which would see him play Atlético's new Wanda Metropolitano stadium, recalled the moment on his Instagram account: "First goal as a professional, the only one I dreamed about. All the rest are a present #forzaatleti", he wrote.
A few more
Since that day, 'El Niño' has scored a further 104 in the Atlético shirt, the last two of those in the farewell match at the Vicente Calderón against Athletic Club.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2