Jérémy Mathieu and Arda Turan are the first two players who are expected to leave Barcelona this summer. The Catalans are keen to release both players as soon as possible to forge ahead with their planning for the squad ahead of next season. Mathieu has one year to run on his contract and was hardly seen during the latter stages of the campaign and missed numerous training sessions due to ongoing fitness problems. Olympique de Marseille's Director of Sport Andoni Zubizarreta, put an offer on the table and there has been reported interest from Turkey for the central defender. Barça are willing to let him leave for a symbolic fee so that they can reduce their wage bill.
Arsenal believed to be keen on Arda Turan
Arda Turan's situation is a little more complicated. Barça want to recoup a large portion, if not all of the money they laid out to sign him from Atlético. The Turkish playmaker received offers from the Chinese Super League last year but he prefers to remain at a high-profile club with 2018 World Cup Russia around the corner (even though Turkey, fourth in Group I, have a very tough task of making the finals via the Play-Off route). Arda wants to remain in Europe and according to the British media, Arsenal see him forming a formidible partnership in midfield with Mesut Özil. The player appears to have accepted that he will be leaving the club which, in his own words, he joined to win the Champions League.
Recommended in English
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Lewandowski and Ronaldo eye history – Champions League in Opta numbers
- REAL MADRID Marcelo set to leave Real Madrid for Brazil
- NBA Blazers' Damian Lillard wants $107 million two year extension
- NBA Blazers guard CJ McCollum out indefinitely for collapsed lung
- NBA Anthony Davis lauds in-form Lakers star Russell Westbrook
- NBA Mavs’ Luka Doncic admits having conditioning issues