Antoine Griezmann has renewed his Atlético Madrid contract until 2022 and apologised over remarks made in recent weeks about his future at the club.
Adds year to previous contract, nets pay rise
Atlético announced on their official website on Tuesday that the France international has extended his previous agreement with Los Rojiblancos by a year, signing terms that will also see him pocket a significant pay rise.
Griezmann had been heavily linked with a transfer away from Atlético, but declared earlier in June that it would be a "dirty move" to leave after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's decision to uphold a transfer ban that prevents the LaLiga club from registering new signings this summer.
Griezmann "very happy" to have signed extension
Reacting to his contract renewal, the 26-year-old Real Sociedad youth product said: "I'm very happy. As always, I'll give my all on the pitch."
And he sought to clear the air with Atlético's fans over comments he made prior to pledging his future to the club - particularly in late May, when he told a French television programme that there was a "six out of ten" chance of him joining Premier League side Manchester United.
Atlético ace says sorry to Atlético supporters
"The first thing that I want to do is apologise to the people who misunderstood my statements," Griezmann said. "Maybe I expressed myself badly or someone wanted to make news where there weren’t any.
"But since I came, I have given my all for my club, my team-mates and my coaching staff, and I’m very happy to live one more season with all of you."
Since moving to Atlético Madrid in July 2014, 'Le Petit Prince' has scored a total of 83 goals for Los Colchoneros in 160 appearances in all competitions.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 Halloween costume ideas for kids: Cruella, Squid Game, umbrella costumes and more...
- US NEWS What benefits can you get in California? Social security, unemployment, others...
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Real Madrid on red alert for Manchester United's Paul Pogba
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid: what is El Clásico's new logo?
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS $2000 stimulus check for every American: how many people support the proposal? can it happen?