Cristiano Ronaldo has declared that he has a "clear conscience" in the wake of allegations of tax evasion against the Real Madrid footballer.
Accused of evading 14.8m euros of tax in Spain
The Portuguese forward, who is currently on international duty, was accused by Spanish prosecutors on Tuesday of defrauding the country's tax authorities of 14.8 million euros from image rights income.
Asked about the allegations by sports news show Deportes Cuatro as he left Portugal training on Wednesday, Cristiano replied simply: "Clear conscience".
Cristiano: I'm innocent of tax evasion
"Innocent?" the programme's reporters then inquired. "Of course," he responded.
Earlier on Wednesday, Real issued a statement in support of the player, saying they are "absolutely convinced" that his innocence will be established.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS When did Cyber Monday originate? What is Cyber Monday?
- NFL What is the Dallas Cowboys best record in franchise history?
- NFL Seattle vs. Washington live online: stats, scores and highlights | NFL Week 11
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- Belichick vindicated once more as Jackson builds DPOY case
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats