Jara escapes red for blatant elbow as VAR flaws remain
Chile defender Gonzalo Jara was shown a yellow card for a blatant elbow on TImo Werner, despite the VAR reviewing the decision for referee Milorad Mazic.
The flaws of the Video Assistant Referee [VAR] were on show in the final of the Confederations Cup, where Germany edged past Chile to lift the trophy.
VAR lets Jara off the hook
In the 61st minute of the match, Chile defender Gonzalo Jara clearly elbowed Timo Werner in the jaw, yet Serbian referee Milorad Mazic only awarded a throw-in. However, the VAR intervened to revisit the clash. One replay was enough to confirm that Jara had aimed a malicious elbow at Werner, but when Mazic reached for his pocket, the card was yellow.
Jara sarcastically applauded, but he was lucky. The VAR has created several talking-points throughout the course of the tournament in Russia. This decision ranks among the most inexplicable.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool