Suárez out with knee injury, Piqué doubtful for Betis match
Barcelona have confirmed that the striker is to be out of action until mid-September, with Piqué a doubt for Sunday's opening LaLiga match.
Barcelona have been dealt further bad news in the wake of their Spanish Super Cup humbling by Real Madrid, with Luis Suárez ruled out for a month and Gerard Piqué a doubt for Los Azulgranas' LaLiga opener on Sunday.
Suárez out for "around four weeks" with knee problem
In a statement on Thursday, Barça confirmed that Suárez faces "around four weeks" on the sidelines after picking up a knee injury in Wednesday's 2-0 loss at Real, which sealed a comprehensive 5-1 aggregate Super Cup defeat.
The Uruguayan is expected to miss Barça's first three league games - against Real Betis, Deportivo Alavés and Espanyol - and could also have to sit out their clash with Getafe on 16 September.
Piqué doubtful for LaLiga match-up with Betis
Piqué, meanwhile, was substituted early in the second half at the Bernabéu with a groin strain, and Barça have revealed that the progress the defender makes in his recovery "will decide his availability" to play against Betis.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze
- OLYMPIC GAMES Which Olympic boxer has won the most medals?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Megan Rapinoe could retire from USWNT after Olympic campaign