Pape Cheick leaves Celta for Lyon
The central midfielder has moved from Galicia to Ligue 1 for around €10m, and has already taken part in a training session with his new team.
Celta Vigo midfielder Pape Cheick has signed a five-year contract with Lyon, the French Ligue 1 side announced on Tuesday.
Pape Diop arrives to strengthen Lyon midfield
The 19-year-old moves to France in a deal reported to be worth €10m with a further €4m in add-ons.
He is the seventh new recruit at Lyon who have had to strengthen their squad after losing Alexandre Lacazette, Corentin Tolisso and captain Maxime Gonalons over the summer.
Cheick came under Lyon's radar when he helped Spain lift the 2015 Under-19 European championship title, the club's recruitment officer Florien Maurice revealed.
Cheick fits with Lyon's recruitment strategy
"He's a player who had caught the eye of other big European clubs," Lyon manager Bruno Genesio told a press conference.
"He chose to come to Lyon, it's important when young players choose to come here, it's the club's strategy to recruit youngsters for the future.
"He is capable of getting the ball through his positional intelligence. That's what convinced us to sign him."
Lyon are unbeaten after four outings of the new season to lie fourth in the table, four points shy of joint leaders Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth