Simeone: Atlético Madrid coach signs new contract until 2020
Diego Simeone has agreed a new, three-year deal as head coach of Atlético, the LaLiga club has announced.
Atlético Madrid have announced that head coach Diego Simeone has signed a new contract with the LaLiga club that will run until 30 June 2020.
Three-year deal extends previous contract by two seasons
Simeone's fresh terms see the Argentine add two years to his previous deal with Los Rojiblancos, which had been due to expire in summer 2018.
Spanish title and Europa League among Simeone's trophy haul
Since his appointment as boss in 2011, he has led the club to one LaLiga, one Copa del Rey, one Spanish Super Cup, one Europa League and one UEFA Super Cup.
Simeone, who is now in his seventh season in charge, has also steered Atleti to two Champions League finals, in 2014 and 2016.
'El Cholo' was understood to prefer extension until 2019
In a statement published on their website on Tuesday, Los Colchoneros heralded the confirmation of "much-awaited news by the Atlético fans".
The new contract is longer than initially favoured by 'El Cholo', who was previously thought to be planning to extend at the Wanda Metropolitano only until 2019.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries