2018 WORLD CUP
Ecuador players suspended for partying before Argentina clash
Five Ecuador international footballers have been suspended indefinitely for "indiscipline" ahead of their final CONMEBOL World Cup qualifier.
Five Ecuador players have been suspended indefinitely for "indiscipline" after allegedly partying in Quito before their final World Cup qualifying match against Argentina, the Ecuadorian Football Federation (FEF) said on Friday.
Despite taking an early lead in the match on Tuesday, Ecuador failed to qualify for Russia 2018 after Lionel Messi dragged the Albiceleste to a 3-1 win with a stunning hat-trick.
Media in Ecuador names five players allegedly involved
The players, who are accused of leaving the team camp on the outskirts of Quito last Friday night, were not named by the FEF, although they were identified by Ecuadorian media.
According to El Comercio, the suspended players are Robert Arboleda, Jefferson Orejuela, Gabriel Cortez, Enner Valencia and Joao Plata.
"FEF sends a very strong signal to future players"
"By taking this approach, the FEF sends a very strong signal to future players," the federation said in a statement.
Ecuador had previously lost 2-1 to Chile, hampering their chances of qualifying before the Argentina match, in which Arboleda, Orejuela and Valencia played.
Orejuela denies any involvement, telling El Telegrafo: "It's a lie".
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play