Lucas Torreira: Sampdoria player could be Gabi's Atlético replacement
The 21-year-old Uruguayan is on Diego Simeone's list, but Sampdoria have rejected January offers according to TuttoSport.Europa League Final 2018: Marseille vs Atlético Madrid live
He's one of the most exciting figures in Uruguayan football. Lucas Torreira may only be 21 years old, but he is already a central pillar of Marco Giampaolo's Sampdoria team.
Atlético to return for Torreira in the summer
The Italian sports daily TuttoSport reported on Thursday that Sampdoria have rejected Atlético Madrid's overtures to sign the midfielder in January 2018. It is understood that Torreira will remain a priority for Atlético in the next summer transfer window.
Torreira holds a Spanish passport, and as such, would not occupy one of the squad spaces designated for foreign players.
Simeone looking to phase out Gabi
The centre of midfield is a position that Atlético have earmarked for reinforcement, particularly as Gabi is now 34.
Lucas Torreira has played eight matches for Sampdoria so far this season, all of them as a starter, and has accumulated 720 minutes of football. Despite his diminutive stature (1.68m) he is a defensive-minded player.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds