Torres: Newcastle boss Benítez eyeing move for Atlético striker
It is being reported in the UK that Rafa Benítez is keen for Newcastle United to sign Fernando Torres, who he worked with at Liverpool.
Newcastle United boss Rafa Benítez is out to take Atlético Madrid's Fernando Torres back to the Premier League this January, according to reports in the UK.
The Daily Mirror claims that Benítez is keen to seal a winter-window reunion with his fellow Spaniard, who he managed at Liverpool between 2007 and 2010.
Benítez managed Torres at his peak at Liverpool
Torres enjoyed the most productive period of his career under Benítez, scoring 72 goals in 116 appearances during the pair's three seasons together at Anfield.
Southampton also reported to be interested in Torres
However, Newcastle are not the only English side reportedly eyeing Torres, whose 10 appearances for Atlético this term have seen him feature for a total of just 322 minutes.
Southampton are also said to be keeping tabs on the 33-year-old ex-Spain star, who is out of contract with Los Rojiblancos at the end of the season.
After also playing for Chelsea and AC Milan, Torres rejoined first club Atleti in 2015, and has so far netted 25 times in 125 games in his second spell at the LaLiga side.
Recommended in English
- NFL What is the salary of a special teams coach in the NFL?
- NFL Tom Brady 'remains noncommittal’ about playing in 2022; Bruce Arians remains hopeful
- NFL What teams are left in the NFL playoffs?
- Real Madrid Benzema: "Madrid is everything to me, I feel at home here"
- SERIE A Vlahovic: Fiorentina say no offers for in-demand striker
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern want Lewandowski and Neuer to end careers in Munich