Sergi Roberto wins best Catalan footballer for 2016-17
Sergi Roberto won despite competition from Piqué, Pere Pons and Sergio Busquets and Girona will receive an award for special achievement.
Sergi Roberto has been named the best Catalan footballer of the 2016-17 season. The Barcelona utility man beat out competition from Gerard Piqué to claim the award and will be presented on November 20th at the Antiga Fábrica Damm. The third position, after Roberto and Piqué, was picked up by Girona midfielder Pere Pons. He pipped Sergio Busquets to the post , who had to suffice with third place.
The rest of the winners include: Alexia Putellas from Barcelona as the best women's football player. Pablo Maffeo from Manchester City on loan at Girona and Berta Pujadas from Barcelona won the best young player awards while Óscar Garcia from Red Bull Salzburg won the best manager award.
The Jury Award, which is given out for special achievement, will be handed to Girona for their first ever promotion to the Primera division in Spain and also to Josep Manel Casanova, who recently passed away. He will receive the award post-humously for the work he did at the academy of Damm, Espanyol and Málaga amongst other teams.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play