Diario AS has learned that Barcelona have decided to strengthen their defensive options in the upcoming transfer window by completing the signing of young Colombian centre-back Yerri Mina from Palmeiras.
Barcelona can sign Mina for nine million euros
The LaLiga giants are understood to have negotiated a deal with the Brazilian club a couple of years ago that allows them to buy the 23-year-old, who has six caps for Colombia, for nine million euros this January.
Barça's preference had been to wait until the summer, but the recent injury to Samuel Umtiti and the possible departure of Javier Mascherano have seen the Catalans move earlier.
According to AS sources, the Blaugrana have given club directors Pep Segura and Robert Fernández the go-ahead to finalise personal terms with Mina with a view to the player actually joining up with the squad before the end of December.
Valverde gives Mina arrival the green light
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu had previously revealed that a decision over Mina would be made by Ernesto Valverde and, despite the coach's apparent initial misgivings, he has finally given the deal his thumbs-up.
Mina's arrival would see Barça register a second of three permitted players holding a non-EU passport (the other is summer recruit Paulinho), meaning that the Camp Nou club would still be free to bring in Brazilian midfielder Arthur from Gremio.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What businesses accept payment with cryptocurrencies in the US?
- NFL How many times have the Los Angeles Rams reached the NFC NFL Conference Finals?
- NFL How many times have Cincinnati Bengals reached AFC Championship Game?
- SOCCER Cristiano Ronaldo complains about market valuation and asks for an explanation
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Spotify seal deal for Camp Nou naming rights
- 'I thought I was dreaming!' – Warriors star Wiggins reacts to All-Star selection