Iñaki Williams close to new deal at Athletic Club with hefty release clause
The 23-year-old is in advanced negotiations to extend his stay in Bilbao and become one of the highest-paid players at San Mamés.
Negotiations between Athletic Club and Iñaki Williams to extend the player's contract are progressing at a steady rate. The foundations have been laid for a new deal and it is just the finer details that remain.
Williams buy-out clause €70m
In the last few days, player and club have held further meetings to tie up loose ends. Williams' new contract would include a buy-out clause of around €70 million, although that figure could vary slightly depending on variables that have yet to be decided upon.
It is expected that the 23-year-old winger will put pen to paper in the near future. Athletic, eager to avoid the player seeking pastures new, will make Williams one of the best-paid players at the club.
Liverpool among known admirers
Williams is under contract at San Mamés until 2021 with a €50m buy-out clause. Powerful clubs from across Europe have tracked his progress in the Basque Country. Juventus, Milan, and Inter are his admirers from Italy, while Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund also maintain an interest.
Despite significant interest, Williams has reiterated a desire to remain in Bilbao for the time being. He is settled in a flat in the centre of the city, and his younger brother Nico is impressing in the youth ranks at Athletic.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What is Walmart's buy now, pay later program? Why is the layaway program discarded?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- NFL | JAGUARS Jags QB Lawrence vows not to 'play timid' after throwing seven interceptions
- NFL | BUCS Brady demands Bucs learn from Rams defeat
- Rodgers convinced last-gasp turnaround gives Packers 'legitimacy' as Super Bowl contenders