Pique pokes fun at 'Espanyol de Cornella' after Copa victory
Barcelona defender offered Espanyol a cheekily reworked moniker after Ernesto Valverde's side beat their city rivals in the Copa del Rey.
Gerard Pique poked fun at Espanyol after Barcelona's Copa del Rey quarter-final second leg, suggesting Quique Sanchez Flores' side should not be classed as their city rivals.
After losing the first leg 1-0 at the RCDE Stadium on January 17, Barca turned the tie around on Thursday with a 2-0 victory courtesy of goals from Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi.
Barça v Espanyol in— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 26, 2018
Which makes you go ? pic.twitter.com/UVrhkdaduh
And Pique could not resist a jibe at their Catalan rivals as Barca celebrated progression at Camp Nou, naming them Espanyol de Cornella – a suburb of the Barcelona metropolitan area - rather than Espanyol de Barcelona.
"It isn't that we suffered so much in this game, but Espanyol de Cornella always make it difficult for us," he said, as quoted by Spanish outlets. "We started very well with the two goals and it is a result that pleases us."
Espanyol later responded and claimed that they would report Pique's inflammatory comments to the Anti-violence commission .
Solicitud de investigación a la Comisión Antiviolencia sobre las declaraciones de los jugadores del FC Barcelona Piqué Bernabéu y Busquets Burgos, y los cánticos insultantes de la Grada de Animación del Camp Nou.https://t.co/hV52gbjQjK#RCDE pic.twitter.com/VFNZnlPZes— RCD Espanyol (@RCDEspanyol) 26 January 2018
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery